the new brooklyn ikea store is rising quickly over in red hook, gowanus lounge reports that they are currently in the process of putting up the distinctive blue siding. personally, i think that this is a terrible location for a big box store and will be regarded as an urban planning disaster in the years to come. it's not near the subway, nor the highway -- so it's going have to be a bus or a car to get down here. early estimates predict over 50,000 cars per week will make the trip. it should also be noted that the main thoroughfare in red hook, van brundt street, has a grand total of 2 stop lights. one at the brooklyn cruise terminal and another further down the block. the later was only erected after various neighborhood groups came together to petition the city after a number of accidents, at least one of which was fatal.
- for some great photographs of the site -- check out nathan kensinger photography
- the recent apartment therapy article on the opening generated some interesting comments
- redhook-brooklyn.org is a good source of anti-ikea material.
- the official ikea site has no information posted yet but does list several job openings.
- lastly this is a proposed 2004 rendering of the site: